Friday, October 8, 2010

Sustainable what?!?

Once upon a time not so long ago, when bicycles were a bother, meat was tasty, long showers were a right, green energy was an experiment, KRAV and FairTrade were marketing gimmicks... or at least that's what I liked to tell myself, I believed everything will be fine if I just didn't care about it. It was all much 'easier'... Myopia has that effect on me sometimes...

My cluttered desk and ever growing to-do lists...

So the life went on and after another long but fun day at work, I drove my car back home. It was late in the evening and all I felt like doing was turn on the TV and lie back on my couch flipping channels. And that was how my days, weeks, and months had been.

Driving home in my car named 'Chandni'

Few years later, I find myself in Uppsala, a town about 40min north of Stockholm. Even though I am tempted to go into the details of how my first weeks were spent almost similar to life in Pakistan, but now doesn't seem like the place or time.

Flogsta student houses where a collective scream hundreds of student is heard every night at 10

After spending a year in a student room, screaming the Flogsta Scream every night at 10, I ended up living in a farm with horses, sheep and few dogs. Yes, the rumors are true that we poo in a bucket and pee in bushes, use sawdust as a 'flush', yes we walk one and a half km to do our laundry, and burn wood to keep ourselves warm. But to tell you the truth, I have never felt so much joy and peace in my life before.

Our tiny caravan village in Håga

Even though there is a degree in Computer Science somewhere amongst hundreds of other pages I have stuffed under a sofa I am finding my space away from it. This blog is making me relearn many things I chose to forget. But here I am, trying to get my thoughts straight and putting them down as words for you to read.

5 comments:

  1. Yes pooing in a bucket is surely a way to enlightenment.
    PS It's your time to clean it!

    Hope to read more here. Welcome to blogworld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read about your experiences there in Sweden,we hope that you must be enjoying there even under worst conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once upon a time there was a LAKAR HARA,who was having a good time with his family in his village.......................... now complete it. Starting of ur blog was similar like that.
    We would like to know more about Upsala in words and through pictures also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good effort, try to avail your time in this activity. Add more pictures also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So we do ! U give me blogging interest again guys !
    Vi läser !

    ReplyDelete